Saturday, August 22, 2009

Sausage and Lentils

I like lentils but don't use them that often. I had taken some spicy turkey sausage out for dinner but wasn't really sure what to do with it. Then it dawned on me that sausage and lentils would be a tasty combination. I've seen a lot of lentil recipes use bay leaf when cooked but I didn't have any. So feel free to add that in if you want. I used a whole package of lentils and I believe the package said to use about 4 cups of water for the entire package. I had to add a little more at the end of the 20-30 minute cooking time because they were still a little hard for my taste, but everything turned out beautifully.

1 package Jennie-O spicy turkey sausage
olive oil
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
1 small onion, chopped
2 celery ribs, chopped
1-2 carrots (or enough bite-size carrots), chopped
1 package lentils
1 bay leaf (optional)
4 cups water
salt and pepper, to taste
fresh parsley, chopped

Add a little olive oil to a large skillet and brown sausage on all sides.

In the meantime, in a large saucepan, heat a tablespoon of olive oil. Add the garlic, onion, celery and carrots and saute until tender. Add in the lentils, bay leaf and water. Cook for about 20-30 minutes.

When the sausage is finished cooking, slice into bite-size pieces. There should now be yummy bits left in the bottom of the skillet. When the lentils are finished cooking, add them to the skillet along with the sliced sausage to mix in the bits of yumminess on the bottom of the pan and to flavor the lentils a little more. Season with salt and pepper, add in the fresh parsley and enjoy!

No comments: