Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Skillet Corn Bread

I bought some corn meal, but the recipe on there just wasn't what I remembered eating at my parents' house. I mentioned it to my dad, and he gave me this recipe.

1 1/2 cups Enriched White or Yellow Corn Meal
3 tbsp. all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 1/2 cups milk
1 egg, beaten
2 tbsp. vegetable oil or bacon grease

Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Use a medium size cast iron skillet (7-9 inches) and place on stove burner. Add the vegetable oil or bacon grease to the skillet (I use bacon grease). Turn the burner to high and let the oil/grease melt and get really hot. While the oil/grease is heating up, put all other ingredients into a bowl and mix well. Once the oil/grease is hot, pour the prepared mix into the skillet, then immediately place the pan in the oven. Bake for 20-25 minutes, and enjoy. I like to eat mine with honey.

No comments: