Sunday, November 16, 2008

Cool Southwestern Salad with Corn and Avocado

I found this recipe in my Real Simple magazine. I made a few slight variations, but for the most part, left it the same. All I had were northern beans which probably weren't the best choice to use since they tend to mush up more easily than pinto beans, but oh well...it's all I had on hand. My picture doesn't look as tasty as the picture from the magazine, but I'm sure the taste was the same :o)

2 small heads romaine lettuce, cut into bite-size pieces (about 12 cups)
1 15-ounce can northern beans, drained and rinsed
2 ears corn, kernels cut off the cob (about 1 cup)
2 avocados, chopped
1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
1/2 cup fresh parsley chopped
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
Kosher salt and pepper
1/2 9-ounce bag tortilla chips

In a large bowl, combine the lettuce, beans, corn, avocados, onion, and parsley. In a small bowl, whisk together the oil, lime juice, cumin, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Drizzle over the salad and toss. Serve with the tortilla chips.

Here's what mine looked like...

...and the picture from the magazine

No comments: