Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Roast Lemon Chicken

I think was like the second time in my life that I cooked a whole chicken. The first time I did it, the chicken was as dry as can be. I found this relatively simple recipe and decided to give it a shot. Well it wasn't dry, but it wasn't very flavorful either. I made the garlic paste and rubbed half inside the chicken and half on the outside. Well duh...the garlic on the outside burnt to a crisp (I picked it off so the picture wouldn't look so bad...lol). I think next time I'll put the garlic paste underneath the skin. So I'll try this again, just using a different technique.

3-4 pound whole chicken
1-2 lemons
6 cloves garlic
1 tsp. salt
2 cups chicken broth


Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Remove the giblets and any fat from the chicken cavity. Roll the lemons on the counter with your hand to soften them, and cut into slices. In a small bowl, mash the garlic with the salt until a paste forms. Rub half this paste inside the chicken and then stuff the lemons into the cavity. Rub the remaining paste on the outside of the chicken. Place in a shallow roasting pan, on a rack (you can use sliced onions for a rack for even more flavor), pour the chicken broth around the chicken. Roast for 60-65 minutes, until a meat thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh registers 180 degrees F, juices run clear when pricked with a fork, and the drumstick moves easily in its socket. Cover the chicken and let rest for 10 minutes before carving. Serve with the pan juices (don't eat the lemons!). Serves 4



We served the chicken with a side of skillet potatoes and roasted homegrown beets.

No comments: