Sunday, October 12, 2008

Spicy Turkey Burgers

We had some ground turkey waiting to be used so I decided to make turkey burgers. I had never made turkey burgers before so I wanted something with a lot of flavor in it. These delivered! Jim really liked them too which is a plus! I found this recipe on the Food Network website. The recipe called for 12 ounces of turkey but I had 20 ounces, so I modified the recipe as necessary.

20 ounces ground turkey (one package Jennie-O ground turkey)
3/4 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
3/4 tsp. cumin powder
3/4 tsp. garlic powder
1 egg
2 tbsp salsa
1/4 - 1/2 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
salt to taste

In a large bowl mix together the oregano, pepper, cumin powder, garlic powder, egg, salsa and salt. Add the turkey and mix thoroughly. Add breadcrumbs until you get a consistency you can shape into burgers. Shape into 4-5 burgers. Cook on stove top in cast iron grill pan or on outdoor grill over medium heat. Cook burgers 6-8 minutes per side until center is no longer pink (about 165 degrees Fahrenheit if you have a temperature probe). Serve on a bun with whatever toppings you like. I made guacamole to go with ours! Enjoy!