Monday, July 20, 2009

Mexican Style Goulash

I found this recipe and it seemed to get some good reviews so I gave it a shot. I didn't have tomato sauce so I used some beef broth to make up for the loss of liquid. I also ended up adding some bell pepper and RedHot sauce to give it a little kick, but it was quite tasty.

1 lb. lean ground beef
1 cup chopped onion,
1 red/orange/yellow bell pepper, chopped
1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 cup fresh or frozen corn (I used one can)
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup beef stock
1-1/4 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 tsp. salt
RedHot sauce to taste
2/3 cup uncooked macaroni (I used rotini)
2/3 cup shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese (I used pepper-jack cheese)

In a large nonstick skillet, cook beef, onion and bell pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomatoes, beef stock, corn, water, chili powder, oregano and salt. Bring to a boil. Add RedHot sauce to taste. Add pasta. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until pasta is tender. Sprinkle with cheese; cover and cook 2-3 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.


No comments: