Sunday, August 17, 2008

Turkey sausage, red beans and rice

I had some of the sweet Italian turkey sausage and needed to find a way to use it. Plus we were limited on what we had at home, but I knew we had beans and rice. So I decided to find a red beans and rice recipe. I was almost positive I had a can of diced tomatoes at home, but of course once I got home, I found out I didn't. So I used tomato sauce instead. I would make this again, but definitely use diced tomatoes next time. I used this recipe and made some variations.

1 package Jennie-O turkey sausage, cut into 1/2 inch slices
2 tbsp. olive oil
1-2 cloves garlic, minced
1 onion, chopped
1 (15 oz) can kidney beans
1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
1/2 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. chili powder
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
salt and pepper to taste

Cook rice according to type you choose. In a skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Stir in the onion and garlic and cook until almost tender. Stir in the sausage and cook thoroughly until there is no more pink. Mix in the beans, tomato sauce, cumin, chili powder, cayenne pepper and salt and pepper. Continue cooking until heated through. Serve mixture over rice.

*I used a 10-minute boil in bag brown rice, but you could use any rice you like. The recipe calls for 1 cup of uncooked long-grain white rice and 2 cups of water to cook the rice in.

No comments: