Saturday, August 16, 2008

Zucchini Bread

I was at my parents' house one day and my mom pretty much forced a bag of shredded zucchini on me saying she didn't have time to make the bread she had planned for it. Well all right then, looks like I'm making zucchini bread. Normally I would have taken the recipe from her, but there was no time for that! So I did a search online and kind of combined a few recipes and added a few of my own and her touches. I didn't add nuts to this bread since I'm not a big fan and Jim is sort of allergic. Sort of allergic you ask? Yes. When he eats nuts, he says they make his teeth itch. I guess it sounds like some sort of allergic reaction, but I'd really rather just not hear about his itchy teeth...lol. Feel free to add nuts if you'd like.

3 cups flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
3 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
3 eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup applesauce
3 tsp. vanilla
1-1/4 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
2-4 cups shredded zucchini
1 cup raisins (I used golden raisins)
rum for soaking raisins

Soak raisins in rum for 30 minutes. Drain and set aside. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease and flour two bread pans. I had 9x5 pans, but 8x4 would also work. Sift together the flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and nutmeg. In another bowl, beat the eggs, oil, applesauce, vanilla and sugars together. Add sifted ingredients to creamed mixture and beat well. Stir in zucchini and raisins until combined. (I used 4 cups of shredded zucchini, but anywhere from 2-4 cups will work). Divide batter into pans and place in oven. Cooking time will really depend on your oven, but I had to cook mine for about 65 minutes. I would start checking the bread with a toothpick at 45 minutes.

No comments: