Monday, June 30, 2008

Brats and Kraut

Growing up with a 100% Polish dad and a 100% German mom, there was no getting away from kielbasa and sauerkraut...and I must say...I do love it. Well we just bought some bratwursts and a jar of sauerkraut and mmmmmm, mmmmmmmm...deliciousness! There's a bunch of different ways to make sauerkraut, and some of the ways depend on how much time you have.

For this particular night, Jim just rinsed the sauerkraut a little, added some bacon grease to a pan, then the sauerkraut and a little bit of water and just let it cook down a little.

My dad does the same thing with the bacon grease and adds the sauerkraut and some water and lets it cook down for about 45 min - 1 hour. At the end of cooking, a roux is added to thicken up the sauerkraut a little. I love it both ways, so it's always tasty to me.

No comments: