Monday, June 16, 2008

Sausage with Peppers, Onions and Beer!

I love the hot turkey sausage from Jennie-O turkey, so I'm always on the look out for a recipe to try it in. I came across this recipe and just tweaked it to what I had on hand. I just served it over some brown rice. This is definitely something I'd make again

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 package turkey dinner sausages (hot or sweet, your choice)
1 red bell pepper, sliced

1 green pepper, sliced
1 yellow bell pepper, sliced
1-1/3 large red onions, sliced
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1-1/3 (12 fluid ounce) bottles beer
2/3 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro (I didn't have this so I didn't use it - I used fresh basil instead)
1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon hot sauce (I left this out since I used the spicy sausage)
salt and pepper to taste

Heat olive oil in a large heavy skillet over medium high heat. Cook sausage until browned on all sides. Remove sausage from pan, and set aside. Pour in 1 bottle of beer to deglaze the pan, scraping up any blackened bits from the bottom. Place the peppers, onions and garlic in the pan. Stir in the remaining beer and the tomato paste. Season with oregano, cilantro (basil), hot sauce (optional), salt and pepper. Cover, and simmer until onions and peppers are tender. Slice the sausages into bite size pieces, and add to the peppers. Cover, and simmer until sausage is cooked through.

No comments: